This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe. I have tried other recipes but I always come back to this one. This cookie is required at Christmas in our house. I usually make the dough ahead and leave in in the refrigerator for a couple days until we have time to cut them out and bake and decorate them (my daughter’s favorite part)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a second large bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. On low speed, beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Gather dough; divide in half. Form each half into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or as long as overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out one dough disk to ¼-inch thickness. Cut into shapes using a 2-inch cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets; sprinkle with decorating sugar if desired, and bake for 10-12 minutes until light golden around edges. Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire rack. Repeat with remaining half of dough. Gather scraps and re-roll; cut into additional cookies. If dough gets too soft, rewrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple hours. When cookies are completely cool, store in airtight container. Makes about 3 ½ dozen cookies, depending on size of cookies.