Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze
This pound cake is really moist and tender. The glaze is completely optional.
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ea eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 ea zest of 1 lemon finely chopped
For the glaze (optional):
- 1 ea juice of 1 lemon
- 4-6 tablespoons of powdered sugar
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8x5x3-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Add vanilla to the buttermilk. Set aside.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Beat until almost combined. Add about 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and beat until almost combined. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk, mixing until almost combined after each addition.
- Before final addition of flour is completely incorporated, add lemon zest. Turn off mixer and finish mixing by hand to avoid overbeating.
- Pour into prepared pan, gently leveling the top of the batter.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out onto serving platter.
For the Glaze
- If coating with glaze, make the glaze while the cake is cooling. Combine lemon juice with enough powdered sugar to make a thin consistency glaze.
- With a skewer, poke holes in the top of the cake. Slowly spoon glaze over the top of the cake, pouring slowly to allow glaze to flow into the holes poked in the cake.
- Let cake cool completely and glaze set before serving. Makes 1 loaf.