Lemon Pound Cake
Finding a lemon pound cake recipe that actually tastes like lemon without having to have lemon glaze has been hard. I finally found a recipe that used lemon juice in the cake batter, but wasn’t enough so this is the recipe on which I have settled. This pound cake tastes like lemon without the sugary lemon glaze being added. Poppy seeds can be added to make Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ea zest of 2 lemons finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 ea eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, add finely chopped lemon zest to sugar. Rub sugar and lemon zest together until the sugar resembles wet sand.
- Add eggs, buttermilk and lemon juice to sugar mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add about half of the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Add oil and stir until just combined. Add remaining flour and stir until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Gently run a knife along the edges of the pan to separate cake from pan. Turn out onto a plate to finish cooling. Makes 1 loaf.